Years ago, WordPress was primarily used as a blogging platform but has grown to become a very powerful Content Management System (CMS). With WordPress you can build a website, a blog or both. Whether you are a business, a startup or a blogger, WordPress is the quickest and the most cost-effective way to launch your web presence. Below, I discuss some of the top benefits of using WordPress:
- Free to Use: WordPress is open source software and is 100%. It is developed by an enormous community of extremely talented people and maintained on a continuous basis.
- User Friendly: You don’t need to be a coding guru to make changes to your site. WordPress is very easy to use. Aside from basic use, tweaking and modifying sites is fairly easy as well. You no longer have to wait for your web designer to make simple updates to your site.
- Awesome Plugins: No matter what kind of feature you are interesting in adding to your website, chances are a plugin has been developed for this. Plugins extend the usability of WordPress by adding cool features to it. Want to add an event calendar, video gallery, Twitter feed, Facebook Fan Box to your site? WordPress makes this possible with plugins, most of which are free or very reasonably priced.
- Standard Web Compliance: WordPress has gone to great lengths to make sure every bit of the generated code is in full compliance with the standards of the W3C. This is important for cross browser compatibility, usability and SEO as well.
- SPAM Protection: WordPress comes built in with very robust tools such as an integrated blacklist and open proxy checker to manage and eliminate comment spam on your site or blog. There are also several plugins that can take this functionality a step further.
- Manage Your Website From Any Computer: WordPress is browser-based. You can login from any computer with internet connection and manage your site.
- Google Loves WordPress: WordPress provides awesome search engine optimization right out of the box. The code behind WordPress is very clean and simple. This makes it very easy for search engines to read and index a site’s content.
- Support: If you do have problems, or want to add very custom features, it is easy to find support and developers who can help you. There are literally thousands of WordPress developers out there. WordPress also offers a very helpful forum where you can find answers fast.
- One-Click Installation: Many hosting providers (mostly those with a cPanel) offer quick installs through applications such as Fantastico or QuickInstalls.
- Have Multiple Users: As a WordPress site owner, you can set up multiple users for your site and assign different access levels and capabilities to each user.
Need a little bit more reassurance that WordPress is the way to go? Check out some of the most notable “Big Name” brands that are using WordPress (references from WP Beginner and WordPress.com):
- BBC America
- Sony Music
- The New York Times Company
- Inside BlackBerry
- The Rolling Stones
Are you convinced that WordPress is the way to go? Sign up today for hosting with BlueHost and receive a FREE domain name!
Are you just starting your blog but don’t know where to start? Check out my easy-to-follow post How to Start a WordPress Blog.
I’ve also included a few other relevant articles/tutorials: